Community Groups are an integral part of what we do as Saylorville Church. We believe that sustained life change occurs as we are growing in a relationship with Christ and with others who are seeking this same goal. Community Groups provide people with the opportunity to share life, pursue change, and grow together. Our Community Group leaders play a vital role in creating environments that help more people be more like Jesus.
Paul taught the Corinthians that some plant the seeds, others water them, but God makes them grow (1 Corinthians 3:6). Group leaders have the privilege of creating environments in which seeds of faith are planted and watered in the lives of those they lead, while trusting God with the growth. Our leaders are truly on the front lines of watching God work in the lives of individuals and in the life of our church.
Leaders are successful when they are personally growing in their intimacy with God, community with insiders, and influence with outsiders (The 3 Vital Relationships) and are leading their groups in such a way as to encourage the group members’ growth in these three relationships as well. Community Group leaders are supported by the Discipleship Pastor, Ministry Directors, and other staff at Saylorville.
Since our Community Group leaders play such an important role, we take great care when enlisting them. Please read through the information below to better understand the role of a leader, the requirements, and the responsibilities of a healthy Community Group leader.
Role of a Community Group Leader (What is the priority of a Community Group leader?):
The Community Group leader’s main role is to shepherd the group by creating an environment that encourages people to experience life change together.
Requirements of a Group Leader (Who can be a Community Group leader?):
- Must be a saved and baptized member of Saylorville Church in good standing.
- Must recognize the Bible as the authority for their lives.
- Must be an example to others in attendance, giving, serving, and leading.
- Must have participated in a Community Group at Saylorville Church for at least one season.
- Must be willing to lead through at least one group life cycle (From new group to multiplication).
Responsibilities of a Group Leader (What must a Community Group leader do?):
- Lead the group by facilitating the meeting and monitoring its health.
- Encourage group participants to continually take their next step of growth.
- Guide decisions relating to the Group Agreement and curriculum.
- Attend leader training meetings, read weekly emails, and meet with the Discipleship Pastor or Ministry Director for one-on-one discussions.
- Communicate updated Community Group information to the Discipleship Pastor.